News & EventsLatest NewsCalendar
Hemsworth Match report

Hemsworth Match report

michael scherdel6 Feb - 14:59
Share via

Johnty's 100m dash

League leaders Wath travelled the short distance to face a Hemsworth side desperate for a win to help them in their relegation battle. In the opening 15 minutes the home team’s strong direct , aggressive running unsettled the Wath side and resulted in them taking a 10 point lead through a penalty and converted try.
Finally beginning to compete Wath gained ground and had a line out 5 metres from their opponents try line. The catch and drive proved unstoppable and second row Luke Stead emerged with the ball. With Whitlam’s kick drifting wide the scoreboard read 10-5 to Hemsworth after 18 minutes. On 20 minutes Wath took the lead. After several scrums on their opponents line resulting in penalties the referee awarded a penalty try and Wath were 10-12 ahead.
On 30 minutes Wath produced several phases of quick ball and stand - off Jack Whitlam spotted a gap and sprinted over the line for another Wath try. His own conversion was missed but Wath were now 10- 17 up.
Wath gained their bonus point try after 35 minutes. Gaining quick ball in centre field Wath passed wide to the left where second row Morrisey, reached low for the ball and went for the line. Gathering pace he ended up carrying three opponents over the line. A certainty for try of the season! Whitlam added 2 points to extend Wath’s advantage to 10- 24.
Despite having scored 24 unanswered points Wath still struggled to handle the strong runs from the home side’s forwards. Following several purposeful charges Hemsworth were rewarded with a try . The unsuccessful conversion left the score 15-24 at half time.
In the second half the home side’s were a little less forceful but they did cut Wath’s lead to 21-24 with penalties in the 50th and 60th minutes.
The Wath forwards gradually drew the fire from their opponents and dominated the last quarter. Joe Earp, Wath’s No.8 scored a try from a 5 metre line out and gave Wath breathing space at 21- 29. A try by replacement Oli Stirling, converted by Whitlam in the last minute put icing on Wath’s cake as they had overcome a determined Hemsworth side 21-36.
Wath had to show great character and resolve to defeat the very combative Hemsworth side, who slipped into the bottom two. Other results enabled Wath to extend their lead in Yorkshire 2 and have earned a week off.
For an outstanding overall performance in defence and a try that will go into legend, Jonty Morrisey was awarded the Man of Steel
Further reading